Philippine Schools as Fashion Runways?!

“Bawas gastusin sa mga magulang ang target ni Mayor Rodrigo Duterte kung kaya't balak niya ring ipatupad ang no school uniform policy sa mga eskwelahan.” [source: http://news.abs-cbn.com/video/nation/05/17/16/duterte-eyes-no-school-uniform-policy]

The presumptive president of the Philippines, Mayor Rodrigo Duterte plans to implement a “no school uniform” policy in our schools. When this plan was raised on the news, it became the topic of all social media sites. The Filipino teenagers were 50-50 about it. Some reacted to it positively, while some saw this plan in a negative way.

Well on my side, wearing a school uniform makes me feel the school environment even more. It’s like a jacket in the cold weather for me. It gave me what I call the ‘school vibes’. And also, as the class secretary who always check the uniforms of my classmates, I really find it annoying and informal when a classmate wears either improper or incomplete uniform. It even pisses me when I see them roll up their sleeves. I also hate it when they wear their school skirts and wear a shirt. I really think it is informal. School uniforms promote discipline in a way that it can be a way to test a student’s obedience in following the school’s dress code.

School uniforms also give me the sense of belongingness in the school environment. It helps me in a way that I don’t need to worry about my #OOTD everyday. (sorry to my readers who loves doing stuff like these huhuhu)

I may feel bad for those parents who can’t afford to buy school uniforms to their children but as our Lolo’s and Lola’s say, “Kapag may gusto may paraan, pag ayaw maraming dahilan.” I mean teenagers can save money so they could buy their favorite food, merch from their idols, concert tickets, toys, etc. so why not save so you can buy even just a pair of school uniform? Just have patience and have a little sacrifice. And also, if buying a uniform is a burden to the parents, I think it’s more efficient to buy school uniforms since school uniforms can be used for at least 1 or 2 school years, but if we can wear ‘civilian clothes’ in our school, you know teenagers will go for the trend. As they say, Filipinos are bandwagons so it’s natural for teenagers to ‘makisabay sa uso’. Which I think will only be a bigger burden to our parents. And also, school uniforms are mandatory to our schools and there are still a lot of violators, what more if we would have the ‘no school uniform policy’? There will be more violators, I think. I know that if teens are given their freedom, some abuse what’s given to them.

But in the end, it’s still the decision of those who are in government. I can’t wait for our presumptive president’s administration to start, as they say, I’m hoping that CHANGE IS really COMING.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Huling Sayaw

Letter of Separation for 2016

Sa Aking Hardin